domenica 28 dicembre 2008

Behind the Firewall: Content management and Collaboration on the Intranet

Away from this blog, I've been putting a lot of energy into how best to work with social software in larger organizations (Enterprise 2.0) behind the firewall.  My professional attention has been shifting away from using Web content management systems, social publishing systems, and other collaboration tools on the Internet.  I really think the next big advancements and challenges for web technologies will not be on the World Wide Web, but the less explored intranet ran by medium and larger size organizations.

In one form or another, I've been involved on both sides of the firewall in my organization. Ten years ago it was a huge challenge for organizations and businesses to figure out how best to utilize the Internet to meet their business needs. As challenging as I saw the Internet for my own organization, I'm convinced there are greater challenges on the intranet side of the house.  For the most part, we all can see what the others are doing with their Internet Web servers, but few of us get to see what other organizations do with Enterprise 2.0 behind their own firewalls.

Starting with the new year, CMS Report, will be focusing on the challenges of using CMS and social software in the enterprise.  I will personally be talking about using applications familiar to me such as SharePoint, Alfresco, Drupal, and mediaWiki on the intranet.  I'm hoping others will bring into the discussion their own favorite open source and propriety applications for the Enterprise.  Together, I hope for us to come up with some best practices of introducing and maintaining Web 2.0 in own organizations.

In the meantime, take a look at this YouTube video on how Best Buy uses Enterprise 2.0 to support not only their employee needs but also their business needs.  Thanks to George Dearing for pointing out this video via his blog.

from: http://cmsreport.com/blog/2008/behind-firewall-content-management-and-collaboration-intranet

 

Nessun commento: